Mike has spoken at thousands of schools across Canada, making him one of the country’s busiest guest authors.
Students and staff alike enjoy his dynamic, humourous presentation which focuses on the power of words and the fun and importance of reading.
Some of the points included in his visit are:
In a half-day presentation, Michael can accommodate two 50-minute sessions. He usually speaks to students in grades 3 - 6 since that is the audience for which he writes. He does not speak to students in grade two or younger. There is no size limit on the groups.
- The Writing Process: Michael talks about the writing process that students are taught in school (rough draft, editing, revision, final draft) and compares that to what an author does when writing a book. He shows copies of his (very) rough drafts, edited copies of his work, and the final product.
- A short, fun writing activity: This short activity involving the audience demonstrates to students that anyone can be a humour writer.
- Where his ideas come from: Michael tells how he gets his ideas and reveals which stories actually happened to him or someone he knows!
- A new story! Michael reads a story that he is currently working on. He asks for audience feedback and suggestions, alternate endings and what the students would do if they were the main character. Some of the best suggestions come from kids!
- He entertains questions throughout the presentation.
Prices for his visits are based on two schools within short driving distance booking Michael for the same day, one in the morning and one in the afternoon.
To book a visit, or for more information, email us at email@example.com